Musical memories part 3

Czardas
I was with my older sister and Mel and we went to a performance hall for me to practice my violin solo effectively. I was very apprehensive and I didn’t want them to hear me practicing. I asked them to try not to listen to me because I thought that my playing sounded horrible, despite the fact that I’ve been playing the violin ever since I was four. The two told me that they will still listen despite what I told them and that I was very good at playing the violin anyway so they didn’t see what my problem was. When I did practice, the delivery was almost spotless and the audience clapped enthusiastically. I eventually got more confident. There was a small group of people with us, checking out my progress. My playing was actually being graded.



String Quartet op. 64 no. 5 in D Major
I was with my group of friends and we were at someone’s place. I can tell that it was neither Hans’s nor mine...or maybe it was mine but not the place in Darmstadt. I’m honestly not sure. I wasn’t playing myself but my friends were. August and I were the violinists, Friedrich was the violist while Hans was the cellist. Jesper was actually with us too, doing the coaching and conducting. He has been exposed to playing instruments far longer than I was.

For the room, it was dimly lit. The windows were big and the architecture was either inspired by the Romantic-era or it was built during the era itself. The colours were primarily beige. There was a grand piano near us. Age-wise, we were around 16 years old in this memory.



Sonata for violin and continuo in F Major
I wasn’t playing an instrument in this memory either. This time, I was with Helene. I was 6 years old while she was 10. I was wearing a sailor outfit(it was a thing amongst rich little boys at that time, especially for the aristocrats and I was kind of one) while she was wearing a somewhat fancy evening dress. It was supposed to be her pyjamas but I doubt that I would sleep in a sailor outfit, though. My family was staying in our property located at La Louvière, Belgium. It was originally my grandpa’s family’s and my family inherited it.

So in the memory, the musicians in the dining room we were also in were playing this piece. Helene and I were in the big space running around. It was a little weird because we were re-enacting Moby Dick but the whale was a teddy bear. Helene was holding the teddy bear making whale noises while I was holding a toy ship making frantic noises.

At that time, Hansel, my older brother and the eldest child in our family, was still alive. He passed away when I was 8. However, he didn’t join us because he was too tired and slept early. He spent the whole afternoon playing sports with his friends. On the contrary, Helene and I kept playing until around 10pm. The memory took place at around 9pm. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise a glass

Some more memories

I hate sand **updated**