Raise a glass
Raise a glass to a new memory from this morning!
There are two parts to this memory. The first part was when I was fencing for the fun of it. Yep, I was taught the sport. Many aristocrats like me were supposed to learn it and I wanted to put my skills to the test by having someone really competent as my opponent. When my subconscious told me who my opponent was, I was actually a little surprised. You see, we didn’t know each other that well at the time. I was only 19 years old and we only started to interact more when I hit my 20s. The opponent was Reinhard, by the way.
I decided to be aggressive throughout the game and use my aggression as a tactic. I would always use my brain more whenever I competed with someone. I thought that this would scare him and it did a little but he still won anyway. However, I came close to beating him so good enough, I guess. So basically, there were three rounds. I beat him in one of them while he beat me in the other two. In one of the two rounds, I was actually close to beating him but not quite. You can say that despite the outcome, I was still satisfied.
After the game, one of the few people(who seemed like he was about my age, just a few years older) watching us shouted, “Du bist schön, Arthur!” I could tell that he was British for two reasons. Number one, it was mostly just the Brits who would call me ‘Arthur’ because I resembled someone they knew and that someone, the actual Arthur, just happened to be my cousin. Second of all, his British accent(in general since there’s actually a variety) was very strong like I knew how it sounded like really well because before the war, I visited my British relatives somewhat often. I came to him after the game and this dialogue started:
Me: Are you gay? (Asked in English with a mixed British-German accent)
Him: No, why? Also, you’re German? Arthur doesn’t sound like that.
M: Yes, I’m German, totally not Arthur. Welcome to Germany.
H: Oh I thought you were my friend, Arthur. You look a lot like him.
M: I know. He’s my cousin.
H: Can we speak German? I want to practice it.
M: No, please. Your German is horrible. ‘Schön’ means pretty which is awkward like do I look like a pretty girl to you?(I lowkey wanted to do something rude like offering to show him my genitals, for example, but I restrained myself because I would probably get into trouble for saying that) Maybe you’re into hot guys? I mean, I get that I’m attractive and all but really?
H: No, I meant ‘lovely’. The way you played was lovely(he noticed my tactics). Don’t get too ahead of yourself, I’m into women. Also, I’m really impressed by your English.
M: Oh ok. Why thank you. While it’s my third language, it’s definitely better than your German.
H: Are you partly British, then? You sound a little British. More British than an average German, actually.
M: I’m partly British, yes, but it doesn’t change the fact that I’m a German citizen.
H: I want to get to know you better. Would you mind having a drink with me?
M: Sure but just wait here. I want to change out of this suit, it’s really stuffy.
H: Ok.
After I changed, we went to a pub and I drank a martini. That guy ordered one first and I was curious about its taste. I actually enjoyed it once I tasted it. The two of us talked for hours from the evening to 2am. We just had a lot to talk about, especially when he knew my relatives. It took us a while to realise that it was late and I still had work the next day so yeah, I lost some sleep but talking to him was worth losing sleep over.
There are two parts to this memory. The first part was when I was fencing for the fun of it. Yep, I was taught the sport. Many aristocrats like me were supposed to learn it and I wanted to put my skills to the test by having someone really competent as my opponent. When my subconscious told me who my opponent was, I was actually a little surprised. You see, we didn’t know each other that well at the time. I was only 19 years old and we only started to interact more when I hit my 20s. The opponent was Reinhard, by the way.
I decided to be aggressive throughout the game and use my aggression as a tactic. I would always use my brain more whenever I competed with someone. I thought that this would scare him and it did a little but he still won anyway. However, I came close to beating him so good enough, I guess. So basically, there were three rounds. I beat him in one of them while he beat me in the other two. In one of the two rounds, I was actually close to beating him but not quite. You can say that despite the outcome, I was still satisfied.
After the game, one of the few people(who seemed like he was about my age, just a few years older) watching us shouted, “Du bist schön, Arthur!” I could tell that he was British for two reasons. Number one, it was mostly just the Brits who would call me ‘Arthur’ because I resembled someone they knew and that someone, the actual Arthur, just happened to be my cousin. Second of all, his British accent(in general since there’s actually a variety) was very strong like I knew how it sounded like really well because before the war, I visited my British relatives somewhat often. I came to him after the game and this dialogue started:
Me: Are you gay? (Asked in English with a mixed British-German accent)
Him: No, why? Also, you’re German? Arthur doesn’t sound like that.
M: Yes, I’m German, totally not Arthur. Welcome to Germany.
H: Oh I thought you were my friend, Arthur. You look a lot like him.
M: I know. He’s my cousin.
H: Can we speak German? I want to practice it.
M: No, please. Your German is horrible. ‘Schön’ means pretty which is awkward like do I look like a pretty girl to you?
H: No, I meant ‘lovely’. The way you played was lovely(he noticed my tactics). Don’t get too ahead of yourself, I’m into women. Also, I’m really impressed by your English.
M: Oh ok. Why thank you. While it’s my third language, it’s definitely better than your German.
H: Are you partly British, then? You sound a little British. More British than an average German, actually.
M: I’m partly British, yes, but it doesn’t change the fact that I’m a German citizen.
H: I want to get to know you better. Would you mind having a drink with me?
M: Sure but just wait here. I want to change out of this suit, it’s really stuffy.
H: Ok.
After I changed, we went to a pub and I drank a martini. That guy ordered one first and I was curious about its taste. I actually enjoyed it once I tasted it. The two of us talked for hours from the evening to 2am. We just had a lot to talk about, especially when he knew my relatives. It took us a while to realise that it was late and I still had work the next day so yeah, I lost some sleep but talking to him was worth losing sleep over.
I am sorry but I laughed when you said that your opponent was Reinhard, because he was a very tough fencer to beat.
ReplyDeleteI remember I used to watch him fence a lot of the time because it was something that made him quite happy and when Reinhard was happy, I was happy too. It still works this way. But when he lost he was a force to be reckoned with. I'll add the rest via email.
Eva x
Well, I wish that I was joking but my subconscious mentioned it. By the way, the British guy I was with did mention the first part of your comment so that was why he complimented me. He mentioned it before I drank my Martini.
Delete