Defection from Nazi Germany
This is the last part of WWII before I start speaking of the post-war era. Yes, I survived the war. How I survived was through defection. By the time it was April, I have already wanted to defect but I acted like everything was okay because I didn’t know how to defect.
I knew that this was considered as ‘treason’ and punishable by death. Someone who tried to resist the Nazis in one way or another would get killed. I knew that fact pretty well because I killed some of those people myself but by then, if I defected at the wrong time, I would have gotten hanged or something so I chose not to do anything until I come up with a plan with a high possibility of success. Things were getting really bad in Germany. I wanted the war to be over but Hitler was not allowing it. I wanted to escape this nightmare but I thought that I had no choice but to live like this unless I wanted to die.
Thankfully, by coincidence, I had a British relative fighting against Germany. He was Allistor. I actually ran into him while I was randomly walking among the ruins in the aftermath of a bombing in Berlin. I saw a British soldier who looked very familiar to me. He also saw me and almost shot me but he recognised me as well. He was with his comrades and they were all about to shoot me but he told them not to do it. I ran to them and basically joined their camp.
We eventually started having a meal together. We were incredibly happy. Allistor and I were surrounded by other British officers but we still continued talking. We mostly talked about our lives during the war(especially our love lives) and our respective jobs. He thought that my job was cool. I might as well spill everything since I was essentially jobless at that point and not working for the Reich anymore.
In another memory, I was with Anthony, aka Allistor’s older brother. By that time, I was in the UK living with his family. I also got the British to smuggle Mel to me. During my stay, I also received a death threat from one of my close friends in Germany. I trusted him a lot so he would know my UK number. He called to tell me that if I dared to return to Germany, Mel and I would die and that I wasn’t welcome anymore because everyone there wanted me dead. Thanks to that call, I never returned to Germany again until the early 80s but only as a tourist, never as at least a resident again.
I became a stateless refugee by that time I stepped into British soil, applying for a British citizenship. However, I withdrew my application eventually and became an American instead but that’s another topic for another day.
I knew that this was considered as ‘treason’ and punishable by death. Someone who tried to resist the Nazis in one way or another would get killed. I knew that fact pretty well because I killed some of those people myself but by then, if I defected at the wrong time, I would have gotten hanged or something so I chose not to do anything until I come up with a plan with a high possibility of success. Things were getting really bad in Germany. I wanted the war to be over but Hitler was not allowing it. I wanted to escape this nightmare but I thought that I had no choice but to live like this unless I wanted to die.
Thankfully, by coincidence, I had a British relative fighting against Germany. He was Allistor. I actually ran into him while I was randomly walking among the ruins in the aftermath of a bombing in Berlin. I saw a British soldier who looked very familiar to me. He also saw me and almost shot me but he recognised me as well. He was with his comrades and they were all about to shoot me but he told them not to do it. I ran to them and basically joined their camp.
We eventually started having a meal together. We were incredibly happy. Allistor and I were surrounded by other British officers but we still continued talking. We mostly talked about our lives during the war(especially our love lives) and our respective jobs. He thought that my job was cool. I might as well spill everything since I was essentially jobless at that point and not working for the Reich anymore.
In another memory, I was with Anthony, aka Allistor’s older brother. By that time, I was in the UK living with his family. I also got the British to smuggle Mel to me. During my stay, I also received a death threat from one of my close friends in Germany. I trusted him a lot so he would know my UK number. He called to tell me that if I dared to return to Germany, Mel and I would die and that I wasn’t welcome anymore because everyone there wanted me dead. Thanks to that call, I never returned to Germany again until the early 80s but only as a tourist, never as at least a resident again.
I became a stateless refugee by that time I stepped into British soil, applying for a British citizenship. However, I withdrew my application eventually and became an American instead but that’s another topic for another day.
Comments
Post a Comment