Becoming American part 2
Welcome to the part two of this series. I apologise if this entry seems a little messy. Today, I’m gonna cover about me settling into the US and basically some memories of me making adjustments.
I’m honestly not very sure what mode of transport I used to get there(most likely by air) but once I was there, one of the first things I did was to buy a house. In this memory, I was planning how the house would look like but it seemed like someone wrote it all for me because it wasn't my handwriting. We were speaking English. I was planning the rest of my life in the US. Also, Mel’s hairstyle seemed different from before. It was tied up rather than the average 30s-40s bob.
I started to reside in the US after that but after a while, I went back to Germany, to Nuremberg, as an American. It meant that I had to pretend that I didn’t know how to speak my native tongue, German. I went there for the Nuremberg Trials and was one of the people who recorded it. It was an event to test my loyalty to the US and I passed, I guess.
The highlight of the trials for me was probably seeing Goering being so smug when it was his turn to testify. I was rolling my eyes a bit. That’s my memory of the Nuremberg Trials. I’m not sure if any of the defendants recognised me since I have no memories of interacting with them but I get the feeling that at least 1-2 of them, aka Goering and Kaltenbrunner, would have. We have talked before.
Another thing I had to do was to re-study law, like the newer laws. I went to what looked like a courtroom and no, it wasn’t a trial this time. It was more like a lecture. I could also see the national flag of the United States and the state flag of Missouri in front.
My lifestyle also changed quite a lot. I basically spoke English as though I was American. I mean, before I left Europe, I sounded more like a mix of British and German. Overall, I was happier than I used to be. While I felt sad that I left most of the people I knew and loved behind, and well...some of them died during the war, I reminded myself that I had a new life to look forward to, a new beginning. I was very excited.
My profession changed a little. I worked in US Intelligence giving the Americans whatever information I found about the Soviets both during and after WWII. Besides that, I was also working as a lawyer and a music teacher. Busy life, I know. I did all that so that I won’t be discovered as a spy or anything like that.
I think that I’ll conclude the series here. The next thing I shall speak of next time would be my post-war family and more work memories but that’s another topic for another day.
I’m honestly not very sure what mode of transport I used to get there(most likely by air) but once I was there, one of the first things I did was to buy a house. In this memory, I was planning how the house would look like but it seemed like someone wrote it all for me because it wasn't my handwriting. We were speaking English. I was planning the rest of my life in the US. Also, Mel’s hairstyle seemed different from before. It was tied up rather than the average 30s-40s bob.
I started to reside in the US after that but after a while, I went back to Germany, to Nuremberg, as an American. It meant that I had to pretend that I didn’t know how to speak my native tongue, German. I went there for the Nuremberg Trials and was one of the people who recorded it. It was an event to test my loyalty to the US and I passed, I guess.
The highlight of the trials for me was probably seeing Goering being so smug when it was his turn to testify. I was rolling my eyes a bit. That’s my memory of the Nuremberg Trials. I’m not sure if any of the defendants recognised me since I have no memories of interacting with them but I get the feeling that at least 1-2 of them, aka Goering and Kaltenbrunner, would have. We have talked before.
Another thing I had to do was to re-study law, like the newer laws. I went to what looked like a courtroom and no, it wasn’t a trial this time. It was more like a lecture. I could also see the national flag of the United States and the state flag of Missouri in front.
My lifestyle also changed quite a lot. I basically spoke English as though I was American. I mean, before I left Europe, I sounded more like a mix of British and German. Overall, I was happier than I used to be. While I felt sad that I left most of the people I knew and loved behind, and well...some of them died during the war, I reminded myself that I had a new life to look forward to, a new beginning. I was very excited.
My profession changed a little. I worked in US Intelligence giving the Americans whatever information I found about the Soviets both during and after WWII. Besides that, I was also working as a lawyer and a music teacher. Busy life, I know. I did all that so that I won’t be discovered as a spy or anything like that.
I think that I’ll conclude the series here. The next thing I shall speak of next time would be my post-war family and more work memories but that’s another topic for another day.
Comments
Post a Comment