Anti-Semitism

This memory was particularly shocking to me because I always thought that despite being a Nazi, I never had racist thoughts but boy I was proven wrong.

I was basically sleeping in a train station as I waited for my train. I had my own private transport but I was about to go somewhere far away so a train was better for this. Suddenly, I heard loud tooting noises from a neighboring train and when I woke up, a woman was beside me, laughing with her lover. I started to stare at her in a creepy way. She eventually noticed and got annoyed with me, asking me why I was looking at her. My reply was, “You’re a Jew, aren’t you? Look at your nose!” She was surprised by my words. Her lover told me to leave her alone. I started glaring at the both of them, telling the woman that she was lucky that an Aryan man loved her. Otherwise, she would be dead. Well I said all these before calling her a ‘dirty Jew’. Before I walked away, I gave her lover the ‘You’re a traitor to Europe’ look. I went on to find another empty seat, far away from them. It seems that I arrived at the train station too early.

I think that I was around 21, which would make it around 1940. There were basically laws of Jewish women exempted from the Holocaust as long as they were married to Aryans and have children with them. If they get divorced with their Aryan lovers, they die and their children will go to the Aryan man. There were two toddlers, male and female, with them so I thought they were exempt from the Holocaust.

I think this memory also explains why I needed ‘denazification’ after the war. I was very young when Hitler came to power so I was more susceptible to his brainwashing compared to some of my older colleagues because propaganda was in our education system at that time. Even though I lead a partly nomadic lifestyle in my youth, I still spent most of my education in Germany, especially once Hitler came to power. This would explain my anti-Semitism at that time but at the same time, I wasn’t exactly racist towards non-Germanic people. I loved the Slavs, considering that I kind of grew up with them. I was really upset when I heard that they were getting killed because I considered them as ‘brothers’. With that said, there was a group of people I hated more than the Jews, aka the communists. I supported the Nazis because I really wanted the communists to be gone from Germany. I really hated them with a burning passion. When I heard that Jews were getting killed, I simply laughed but didn’t react much. This shows that my hatred against the Jews was present but it wasn’t as strong compared to my hatred against the communists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise a glass

Some more memories

I hate sand **updated**